My First Attempt at Crochet

24 March 2012


On Wednesday a friend and I attended the Cath Kidston 'Learn to Crochet' workshop, in Battersea.
The workshop was only £15 and we received this gorgeous Crochet Kit in a Book Tin  worth £20.
 The kit includes a crochet hook, six balls of yarn and instructions to make this beautiful patch cushion cover, but if you find there is not enough wool to complete it you can request a little more.
 Did I arrive believing I'd make at least one little square by the end of the night? Of course I did.
Did I even make a square?  Er...no! 
Starting off was tricky and it took us a few goes to even manage the slip knot.
We eventually mastered the foundation chain and the foundation ring, but after that, well what can I say?
 The two ladies running the workshop were very lovely, but I felt they could have used an extra hand. There were fourteen of us with the majority having absolutely no clue and reading the instructions was a little daunting.
We had to wait very patiently for a little one-to-one to get us to the next stage.
Maybe three tutors with small groups each would have worked better.

By the end of the workshop the lady next to me had created this. Her daughter had guided her through the stages and she did a fantastic job. Wish I'd sat next to her too.
Her daughter, who has obviously done this before, went on to create this very pretty piece.
 I'd given up trying to follow the instructions and just played around getting used to the hook and tension.
The Daughter showed me how to change colour and I managed to produce this apple looking thing.
At the end of the evening we were each given a feather cushion pad, as an incentive to complete the cushion cover, and a 15% discount for that evening. Overall this workshop was great value for money.
There are some great tutorials out there on the web, including a 'How to crochet: Granny Square' series of easy to follow lessons. I'm confident that I will learn to crochet and eventually make this gorgeous cushion.
All in all we had an enjoyable evening and the staff were all very friendly. I'll definitely be looking out for other Cath Kidston workshops in the future.
Have a Fabulous Weekend!

Barrina xx

2 comments

  1. This is a lovely kit. Good luck with completing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a wonderful workshop, I would love to be taught to crochet one day, I have always wanted to be able to learn how to do it. The tin is gorgeous xxx

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Barri-Jayne Makes. Design by FCD.